How do you spend $400,000 on takeaway in a matter of months? Trace: you are going to have to order numerous steak and lobster.
Publication editor Hallam Bullock right here, reporting from London, and I am baffled by FTX’s DoorDash invoice.
Final November, FTX went bankrupt as a result of it did not come up with the money for to satisfy buyer withdrawals. Properly, court docket filings have laid naked the corporate’s extreme spending habits on luxurious property, motels and, in fact, a yacht. Here is the total breakdown.
Oh, and do not get me began on how a lot they spent at Jimmy Buffett’s Margaritaville seaside resort.
Now, are you sitting comfortably? Let’s check out the week’s large tech tales.
If this was forwarded to you, enroll right here. Obtain Insider’s app right here.
1. Wall Road says TikTok CEO Shou Zi Chew had a “catastrophe” day in Congress. However the web is loving him.
Chew was in Congress’s crosshairs Thursday, testifying amid calls to both pressure the sale of TikTok’s US enterprise or ban its use within the nation.
The listening to rapidly devolved right into a massacre of “sure or no” questions from politicians on each side of the aisle, a number of of whom appeared bored with listening to full responses from the manager, Insider’s Dan Whateley and Aaron Mok write.
Nevertheless, snippets from the testimony went viral, with individuals mocking the proceedings and calling lawmakers “boomers” who’re “embarrassing” them in entrance of the world.
Wall Road might have dubbed Chew’s testimony a “catastrophe,” however by the top of it, Chew had the web consuming out of his hand.
Learn the total story.
Prime tech tales of the week:
2. Watch out who you belief on-line: the romance rip-off is on the rise. A lover left within the lurch is a story as outdated as time. However because the pandemic’s isolation has despatched extra individuals on-line, the stakes have grown. Digital grifters are actually bilking the lonely out of $1.3 billion a 12 months. Extra right here.
3. A man has completed what we’re all considering. He requested ChatGPT to show $100 into as a lot cash as potential. However, extra importantly, he did what most of us would by no means do: he acted on each step. Learn the way it went.
4. Gen Z is coming for the housing market. With know-how and know-how that earlier generations might have solely dreamed of at their age, Gen Zers are poised to reshape the housing market as they declare their slice of the pie. The total story.
5. A former Google recruiter broke down methods to land a job in tech. From utilizing LinkedIn to work smarter, not more durable, to being loud about your layoff, Jeff Sipe shared some tips about methods to stand out. He additionally informed Insider the issues that may blow your interview.
6. Which cellphone model is the Kremlin’s favorite? In keeping with a report, it is not the iPhone. Officers near the presidential administration had been informed: “It is throughout for the iPhone: both throw it away or give it to the kids,” per a Reuters translation. Here is why.
7. Invoice Gates revealed his predictions for the way forward for AI. In a seven-page letter, the billionaire centered on three sectors he believes AI can rework — as effectively acknowledging the danger of superintelligent AI that would “set up their very own targets.” The Age of AI has Begun.
8. Save your self a while, activate “monk mode.” As an individual who can simply fall into procrastination and a scarcity of focus, one software program engineer tried the viral pattern. After going into “monk mode,” he skilled hovering productiveness, work-life stability, and happiness. Here is the way it works.
From our tech evaluation staff:
9. Google Bard is already behind within the AI wars. On Tuesday, Google invited customers within the US and UK to join entry to Bard — the Google’s reply to ChatGPT. Sadly for the search large, testers say Bard is not dwelling as much as the competitors. Here is why.
10. Amazon and Meta’s 48,000 job cuts usher in Huge Tech’s new mantra: Income per worker. Employees who managed to maintain their jobs after two devastating rounds of layoffs aren’t off the hook but. Now, they should combat tooth and nail to show their price. Learn extra.
At this time’s staff: Hallam Bullock in London, Lisa Ryan in New York, and Dave Smith in Toronto.