Thank goodness it is Thursday. I am Diamond Naga Siu, and I miss working in places of work: speaking with colleagues, consuming snacks, and taking in views.
However from a enterprise perspective, these facilities aren’t a precedence anymore – not even in one of many high buildings in San Francisco.
So far as places of work go, One Market Plaza is taken into account “among the best, if not the most effective.” But its occupancy future is unsure. Heavyweights like Google and Visa lease there, however their dedication to a lot workplace area is wavering.
This leaves the “trophy” constructing’s funds in flux. And my colleague Daniel Geiger highlights how the story of One Market Place underscores the shaky workplace rental market.
Now, let’s dive into as we speak’s tech.
If this was forwarded to you, join right here. Obtain Insider’s app right here.
1. No extra raises at Microsoft. CEO Satya Nadella introduced that salaried workers will not get raises this yr. The corporate does plan to proceed giving promotions, bonuses, and inventory. However Microsoft can also be downsizing its finances for some of these awards.
- A separate e-mail notified managers that fewer workers would get “distinctive rewards.” Chief individuals officer Kathleen Hogan mentioned that “extra will must be on the center of the vary.”
- In his memo, Nadella mentioned that the financial panorama seemed completely different to 2022, and that the corporate was within the strategy of repositioning round AI.
- It is a stark distinction from final yr when Microsoft promised widespread raises, writes my colleague Ashley Stewart. She obtained leaked copies of their emails and shared them in full:
Learn Satya Nadella’s e-mail asserting the top of raises right here.
Learn Kathleen Hogan’s e-mail rationalization to managers right here.
In different information:
2. Google goes all-in on AI. At its annual I/O developer convention Wednesday, the corporate unveiled an AI-powered model of its search engine and in contrast it with asking a educated good friend for recommendation. How one can strive it out.
3. Etsy simply launched a marriage registry service. Mattress Tub & Past — a well-liked wedding ceremony registry vacation spot — simply filed for chapter. So the handmade crafts website determined to launch its personal. Extra on the brand new service right here.
4. Fb’s mother or father firm Meta desires to make use of AI to create tailor-made advertisements. It is secured a patent for “digital content material customization by way of viewers detection.” AI may goal and assessment the success of advertisements right down to a person. Try the main points right here.
5. Most individuals on social media are utilizing AI to create their content material. A brand new survey of 660 influencers confirmed that 94.5% of them used AI for his or her content material. Producing photos and enhancing content material had been among the many well-liked makes use of of AI. Extra on the sweeping development right here.
6. Persons are nervous about AI taking their jobs however need it to do elements of their roles. The Microsoft survey outcomes spotlight how individuals are cut up on whether or not the tech is nice or unhealthy. Take an AI temperature examine right here.
7. Get a refund in your Amazon Halo wearables. The corporate is ending help for its Halo line of health merchandise, so all of the gadgets will now not perform on August 1. Here is the right way to get a refund.
8. Elon Musk simply teased a brand new Tesla Cybertruck. It seems to come back with a instrument rack, outfitted with futuristic-looking shovels. The electrical truck additionally featured an enormous windshield wiper. Hop in for a primary have a look at the monster automobile right here.
Odds and ends:
9. Google desires to make foldable telephones occur. The corporate confirmed off its first ever foldable telephone, the Pixel Fold, on Wednesday and Insider’s Antonio Villas-Boas was impressed by its 5 cameras and construct high quality. Try the images and specs.
10. A mysterious object that is 10 million occasions as shiny because the solar. Scientists cannot determine why the unknown object hasn’t exploded but. Plus, they are saying it is too shiny to exist, breaking the Eddington restrict. Put your shades on for this shiny puzzle right here.
What we’re watching as we speak:
- Quarterly earnings for Foxconn, NewsCorp, and different firms. Sustain with earnings right here.
- Pleased birthday (and Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month), Lana Condor!
Curated by Diamond Naga Siu in San Diego. (Suggestions or suggestions? E mail [email protected] or tweet @diamondnagasiu) Edited by Shona Ghosh (tweet @shonaghosh) and Hallam Bullock (tweet @hallam_bullock) in London.