Woah, it is Wednesday. I am Diamond Naga Siu, and I’ve nothing to look ahead to as we speak now that Abbott Elementary completed its second season.
It was renewed for a 3rd. However I’m wondering how the ABC present will likely be impacted by its guardian firm Disney’s layoffs (here is a leaked memo from its CFO, by the best way). The job cuts impacted theme parks, leisure, and extra.
Earlier than I discover one thing new to observe, let’s dive into as we speak’s tech.
If this was forwarded to you, enroll right here. Obtain Insider’s app right here.
1. Amazon must be careful for Charlie Bell. A founding father of Amazon Net Providers and the agency’s “finest particular person within the room,” Bell shook the business final September when he joined Microsoft. However he is since been certain by a controversial noncompete with Amazon. That is simply ended.
- Leaping to Microsoft was presumably the 65-year-old’s final profession transfer. Bell will likely be overseeing a brand new cybersecurity division at Microsoft — however insiders at each Amazon and Microsoft marvel if he’ll go extra straight up in opposition to his former employer.
- A number of folks advised Insider that Bell is well-placed to assist Microsoft take a higher share of Amazon’s lead in cloud computing, maybe bringing over a tradition of ruthless effectivity.
- My colleague Ashley Stewart examines the rising menace of Microsoft now that Bell is free from his noncompete purgatory.
Look into the long run right here for Bell — and Microsoft — with out Amazon’s restrictions.
In different information:
2. ChatGPT + coding = no job safety. Software program engineering was as soon as synonymous with a excessive paying, secure job. However my colleague Aki Ito writes that the rise of AI marks the top of coding as we all know it. Extra on the coder conundrum right here. Bonus: Here is how “be taught to code” backfired.
3. Extremely-realistic masks of Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos, Mark Zuckerberg, and others. Every unique masks prices round $20,000 and took no less than one month to make. Take a look at the extremely detailed disguises right here.
4. Apple TV+ might be on the point of shedding a number of subscribers. The “Ted Lasso” creator has a smaller library than a lot of its rivals. As a substitute, it is invested in unique movies and collection that includes A-list expertise. However forward of a possible writers’ strike, that technique may depart the streamer going through two key vulnerabilities.
5. Instructing ChatGPT is fairly profitable. Self-taught ChatGPT customers have made wherever from $10,000 to $52,000 inside months. They imagine it is the talent of the long run. Extra on their worthwhile facet hustle right here.
6. Inside Amazon’s messy return-to-office plan. Not sufficient seats within the workplaces. Worker anxiousness over the corporate monitoring their badge faucets. Individuals who thought they had been employed as distant staff. Dive into the concern and confusion of Amazon workers right here.
7. High suggestions for prime suggestions. This Philly meals supply driver shares his favourite methods to safe bigger suggestions for his providers. This contains hanging in wealthier areas and rejecting most orders. Get all his tip suggestions right here.
8. RIP to probably the most inexpensive EV. The Chevy Bolt is the most affordable electrical car in the marketplace. It clocks in at $26,500 — or $19,000 after the $7,500 federal tax credit score. However Common Motors introduced that it is axing the mannequin. Hop in for final experience particulars right here.
Odds and ends:
9. This 3D-printed tiny home in Maine is made completely out of recyclable supplies. The 600-square-foot dwelling has a rest room, bed room, joint lounge, and kitchen. Welcome in for the complete home tour right here.
10. Massive Tech workers at the moment are simpler to poach. That is in keeping with the CEO of software program big Intuit, who mentioned layoffs within the sector have induced uncertainty that is “getting folks to lift their heads who would not.” Learn extra.
What we’re watching as we speak:
- The AI Accelerator Summit kicks off in San Jose, California. Leaders from Amazon, Google, and different main tech corporations will converse on the convention.
- The Time100 Gala occurs in New York Metropolis tonight, hosted by Jennifer Coolidge. Different high-profile attendees embrace Doja Cat, Ali Wong, Michael B. Jordan, and Nancy Pelosi.
- Quarterly earnings for eBay, Meta, Roku, Samsung, and different corporations. Sustain with earnings right here.
- The Mutua Madrid Open is in full swing. Emma Raducanu, Leylah Fernandez, and Sloane Stephens are all competing within the WTA 1000 occasion on Wednesday.
Curated by Diamond Naga Siu in San Diego. (Suggestions or suggestions? Electronic mail [email protected] or tweet @diamondnagasiu) Edited by Hallam Bullock (tweet @hallam_bullock) and Shona Ghosh (@shonaghosh) in London.