Hi there, readers. Nathan Rennolds, an affiliate editor in London, right here.
Final week, robotic pizza startup Zume reportedly closed down, regardless of having raised nearly $500 million from funds like Softbank.
I could not assist however assume it was a well timed reminder to buyers that, within the tech business, nice expectations usually result in arduous occasions.
Now, let’s get some reactions to Apple’s new AR/VR headset.
If this was forwarded to you, join right here. Obtain Insider’s app right here.
1. Apple’s Imaginative and prescient Professional seems to be superb, however why purchase it? The long-rumored AR/VR glasses have been proven off throughout an intensive — and delightful — demo on Monday. However with a hefty price ticket of $3,500, the headset is prone to enchantment solely to the Apple trustworthy and Apple builders. Here is why.
- Tony Fadell, who created the iPod, stated Apple had “jumped the shark” with the Imaginative and prescient Professional headset, slamming the worth, battery life, apps, and advertising and marketing.
- Firms like Meta and Sony have already developed headsets that offered thousands and thousands, value a fraction of the worth, and happy shoppers’ greatest present demand within the area: taking part in video games.
- The Imaginative and prescient Professional additionally comes with a number of caveats past the worth tag, similar to a battery lifetime of simply two hours.
Learn extra concerning the Apple Imaginative and prescient Professional’s limits right here.
In different information:
2. Marc Benioff simply shook up Salesforce’s high ranks. Salesforce is bringing again a number of executives who had left for rivals like Amazon and Oracle, in response to an inside memo seen by Insider. It additionally hinted at Benioff’s succession plan. Learn the total memo right here.
3. Marc Andreessen has a plan to make use of “AI to avoid wasting the world.” The enterprise capitalist wrote that AI may “make all the things we care about higher” in a brand new weblog submit. He stated AI firms ought to be capable of construct quick and aggressively — and with out regulation. Learn extra.
4. Huge Tech is paying huge salaries for AI. Whereas tech firms need to lower prices in lots of areas, AI is booming. Here is how a lot you can also make as an engineer or developer.
5. Starbucks has inked a take care of CloudKitchens. Because the espresso big seems to be to increase its supply enterprise, it is turning to Uber cofounder Travis Kalanick’s ghost-kitchen firm to develop. Discover out extra.
6. “I revamped $14,000 promoting my fantasy books on TikTok Store.” Adam Beswick is a self-published writer within the UK who promotes his books on TikTok. In lower than a yr, he is made greater than $14,000. Extra right here.
7. The universities churning out startup founders. Stanford, UCLA, and USC are within the high 10 colleges with grads who’ve obtain non-public startup funding, per Crunchbase. Take a look at the place else made the listing right here.
8. Sequoia Capital break up in three. The VC powerhouse introduced Tuesday that it’s splitting into three entities, ending rumors of an influence battle between its US and Chinese language operations. Get the total story.
Odds and ends:
9. Easy methods to negotiate just about and win troublesome Zoom conversations. Leigh Thompson, a professor on the Kellogg Faculty of Administration at Northwestern College, shared 4 methods to spice up your Zoom presence, together with roadmapping the negotiation. Discover all her suggestions right here.
10. The 11 greatest podcasts for AI and machine-learning lovers. Because the AI business continues to increase, these podcasts cowl an important firms and other people within the area. Get the total listing right here.
Curated by Nathan Rennolds and edited by Jack Sommers in London.